April 23, 2011

A few of my favorite poems- Enjoy!!











AN AWFUL TEMPEST MASHED THE AIR
by: Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)
      N awful tempest mashed the air,
      The clouds were gaunt and few;
      A black, as of a spectre's cloak,
      Hid heaven and earth from view.
       
      The creatures chuckled on the roofs
      And whistled in the air,
      And shook their fists and gnashed their teeth,
      And swung their frenzied hair.
       
      The morning lit, the birds arose;
      The monster's faded eyes
      Turned 
      slowly to his native coast,
      And peace was Paradise











      God's Garden
      Dorothy Frances Gurney


      The Lord God planted a garden
      In the first white days of the world;
      And placed there an angel warden,
      In a garment of light unfurled.
      So near to the peace of heaven,
      The hawk might nest with the wren;
      For there, in the cool of the even,
      God walked with the first of men.
      And I dream that these garden closes,
      With their shade and their sun-flecked sod,
      And their lilies and bowers of roses
      Were laid by the hand of God.
      The kiss of the sun for pardon,
      The song of the birds for mirth,
      One is nearer God's Heart in a garden
      Than anywhere else on earth.








      She Walks in Beauty

      BY LORD BYRON (GEORGE GORDON)
      She walks in beauty, like the night
         Of cloudless climes and starry skies;
      And all that’s best of dark and bright
         Meet in her aspect and her eyes;
      Thus mellowed to that tender light
         Which heaven to gaudy day denies.


      One shade the more, one ray the less,
         Had half impaired the nameless grace
      Which waves in every raven tress,
         Or softly lightens o’er her face;
      Where thoughts serenely sweet express,
         How pure, how dear their dwelling-place.


      And on that cheek, and o’er that brow,
         So soft, so calm, yet eloquent,
      The smiles that win, the tints that glow,
         But tell of days in goodness spent,
      A mind at peace with all below,
         A heart whose love is innocent!
























      Rain by Shel Silverstein
      I opened my eyes
      And looked up at the rain,
      And it dripped in my head
      And flowed into my brain,
      And all that I hear as I lie in my bed
      Is the slishity-slosh of the rain in my head.

      I step very softly,
      I walk very slow,
      I can't do a handstand--
      I might overflow,
      So pardon the wild crazy thing I just said--
      I'm just not the same since there's rain in my head.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! Your comments are dearly appreciated! Enjoy your day!!

Instagram

Blog Archive

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Project Coyote